AD TEST, COPY TEST is a test for "communication language" with current and potential consumers. Sooner you begin to speak consumer's language, more you are disposed to achieve success. Ad test is necessary to predict whether this very ad will sell your product or not..
Nice but unsuccessful advertisement preconditions not only financial losses and inefficient sales but is also looks like post-war period. Following its impact on the audience you have to start from the outset, as the attitude towards certain features of the product changes as well as the general perception towards its producer.
Not everyone who wishes to have successful business, applies advertising. Many of them who resort to ads do not check their quality. Those who check the efficiency of advertising campaign in advance are not safe from financial losses. Thus, successful business is a function of successful advertising and successful advertising in its turn is a function of successful research technologies.
Copy Test/ Advertising Test - Goal:
- Assessment / analysis of ad materials by current and potential consumers
- Identification of the respondents' reaction on advertisement as a whole or its separate components and the reason of reaction
- Determination of key information of an ad and its consumer value
- Study of an ad stimulative potential and identification of corrective variables
- Ad optimization; turning it into maximally effective tool
Qualitative and Quantitative research technique is applied at various stages of ad testing.
Assessment of ad quality through qualitative research
It is necessary to assess the ad quality before launching advertising campaign. This is the most important stage as the matter concerns the bases of efficient financial management. In this regard Focus Group method is applied. With the help of this method we obtain information to what extent the tested ad corresponds to the social norms of certain group of people, i.e. through the focus groups we identify normative point of view of consumer perception.
Qualitative approach of ad test is also used for testing ad effect. Within the frames of qualitative approach free association, projective variety, euristic questions, brainstorming and other methods are applied.
Stimulative differential method
The method is originated from Psychophysics. Its popular modification is Osgud semantic differential method. Unlike the latter stimulative differential measures psychological efficiency of advertising rather than hypothetic semantic fields. The method is used at the initial phase of ad test, i.e. before its introduction at market. The method consists of a table with ad quality indicators according to which ad samples are assessed. The results are processed via factor and correlation analysis method. Given indicators are united in five groups. Stimulative differential method provides reliable data even in case of selecting approximately 30-member (homogeneous) group. Stimulative differential method represents additional method for ad test. It is distinguished for its ability to achieve maximally reliable results from minimal information base.
Copy Test/ Advertising Test provides testing of the following parameters of ad quality:
- quality of compliance and association between ad and advertised product
- ability of positioning main image and quality characteristics of the product
- Ability to remember, pay due attention, attract, form positive emotional attitude (identification features)
- Awareness (ability to deliver understandable and relevant information)
- Social-demographic identity (perception of advertisement as an ad directed to certain social group)
- Ability of stimulative potential of buying behavior (ability to initiate buying behavior/advertised service, product consumption behavior)
Use of research results
Copy Test/ Advertising Test is applied in reference to complete ad materials as well as ad materials in preparation process. Within the whole cycle of ad production testing answers the following question: is it worth to introduce the advertised product at consumer market or not?
Following ad test the client obtains conclusions and recommendations according to which it is possible to adapt an ad for consumer anticipation and attitude. Hence the client is able to see the advertised product from the point of view of target audience and optimize advertising campaign maximally.
After obtaining test results, argument principles of marketing decision and financial reason are certain. Untested ad is a process of impatient anticipation, while tested ad provides opportunity to find the best investment terms and expect profit from invested resources.